Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

The Chaz Bono Uproar

So Chaz Bono is slated to appear on Dancing With The Stars.  Dr. Keith Ablow stated that "I advise parents to not allow their children to watch the episodes in which Chaz appears. Why you ask   


?Many of the children who might be watching will be establishing a sense of self which includes, of course, a sexual/gender identity. Some will be girls becoming comfortable with dramatic changes in their bodies. Some will be boys coming to terms with integrating the dawn of manhood with exquisite feelings of vulnerability. Young viewers will include tomboyish girls and sensitive, less stereotypically “masculine” boys. They will also include children who have sustained the losses of loved ones and are wrestling with depression, perhaps wondering who they are absent their deceased mothers or fathers.

It is a toxic and unnecessary byproduct of the tragic celebration of transgender surgery that millions of young people who do watch "Dancing with the Stars" will have to ponder this question: Maybe my problems really stem from the fact that I’m a girl inside a boy’s body (or a boy inside a girls body). Maybe I’m not a tomboy; I’m just a boy! Maybe I’m not just being bullied because I’m a sensitive, reflective young man interested in flowers, not football. Maybe I’m not just uncertain about my sexuality. Maybe I’m a girl! Maybe all this angst and suffering I’m feeling as I emerge into puberty and pass through it isn’t just because I’m changing, but because I should change completely—and have my breasts removed or my penis amputated!"

Wow, really? 

My first thought -- after I stopped laughing from the stupidity of the remarks -- was how he couldn't even do the research to get the description right:  he refers to in the opening line as a "transsexual woman,"   I mean, at least get the verbage right, even if to just pretend you know what you're talking about. 

Then I wondered, does anyone really watch Dancing With the Stars? And if so, well, is Chaz dancing with some women -- God forbid!  -- on TV really going to shatter some kids view of themselves?  And is the show really going to say, "well Chaz, get dance, and by the way, when are you getting your penis installed?"


If they're so worried about morally -- as they claim -- then young kids shouldn't be watching women dancing around in dresses cut up to their necks and shaking and rubbing up on their partners. 

The whole thing just shows the level of paranoia out there.  Click on the article and take a look at some of the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment