Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Obama’s former transgender Indonesian nanny overwhelmed by sudden celebrity, job offer

As many of you may know, the Associated Press broke the story recently about the former caretaker to the president (when he was a child in Indonesia). Born a he, Evie considers herself a woman, but after years of abuse has lived mostly male. Now at 66 years old,m she says that “After living without hope for so long, like I was locked in a dark room, I now feel like the door is open,” said Evie, who like many Indonesians goes by one name. “It’s like the winds of heaven are blowing hope for me. Even my relatives who never cared about me are now coming to see me.”

Read the full article here

There are so many that suffer to same -- or worse -- discrimination for presenting themselves the way that feels most natural to them, this kind of world attention might provide much needed attention on the transgender topic.

What do you think?  Will it help?  

No comments:

Post a Comment